Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hidden Treasure

While putting stuff in the attic of our new house I came across a hidden treasure.

 Lying on the attic floor, face down, was a cardboard cut-out of Buzz Lightyear! I mean, seriously, how cool is that?

Okay, maybe I'm a little old to get so excited about what is obviously an old video store sales promotion sign. But I have to admit to loving Buzz, Woody and the gang from the Toy Story Trilogy. When I showed Meg the "free-standing" Buzz she was, quite possibly, just slightly more excited than I was.

Buzz is now down in the house with us, taking pride of place in the living room. He is smiling at me right now. Peering past the edge of the dresser where he is temporarily propped up till I can get him standing independently again.

We had belated birthday cake this evening with Buzz in attendance as guest of honour. I was thinking while Meg cut the cake, how odd that Buzz was in our attic. Was it serendipity that two of biggest fans of the Toy Story franchise would find this hidden treasure? Or was it just a lucky fluke? I don't really know or care for that matter. It is just one of those nice things that can happen every now and then.

Despite being in a huge rush to get things sorted in our new home, I still couldn't resist looking around the new "empty" attic. If I hadn't looked twice at the floor coloured shape, I wouldn't have found Buzz at all.

How often, I wonder, as we rush through our daily lives do we miss hidden treasures? I'll bet that if we all just took a second to look around, both literally and figuratively, we'd find a lot of hidden treasure. Try it and  see. You just might get lucky and find something really great.

Who knows, you just might find a Buzz or even better a Woody.






1 comment:

  1. Random thoughts? Sounds to me more like words of wisdom. I really like this post. It's true that the best things in life, which really aren't things, can only be found when we stop to take them in, and sometimes those treasures are the last thing we'd ever expect to find, at moments in our lives when we least expect them. But that's really what makes life so exciting and worth the living. And, yes, a Woody would definitely be cooler to find than a Buzz. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete