Monday, April 2, 2012

Exit

I did not know him that well. I am not even sure how long I have known him. What I do know is he was one of those people that we meet and interact with all too infrequently in life. He was one of the rare breed.

He was a nice chap.

During the time I have worked with him I have never heard him say one ill word against another person. He was one of those folks who always seemed so pleased to see you. And to the best of my knowledge he greeted everyone the exact same way, a big smile and he was happy to see you. I know that I was always happy to see him and work with him.

Again, I did not know that much about him. But I did know that he liked films and he loved racing motorbikes. He had recently injured himself in a race and we all made good natured fun at his expense. He always saw the humour in this. This was not out of character for him at all. He was one of the few people I have ever met that literally no one had a bad thing to say about.

I learned today that he has made an early exit from our realm. In the blink of an eye one of the nicest people I have ever had the privilege to know or work with has gone. It smacks of travesty this early exit. As a friend said earlier today, "I can think of so many other people who I'd rather see go than him." 

Indeed.

I am fifty-three years old and I still cannot get used to how quickly and viciously death can snatch life away. Another friend said that this all feels so unreal. I know what he means. Like everyone who is touched by this sort of thing, I keep thinking someone will say, "Sorry! We were only kidding around. It's not true." Sadly, oh so sadly, it is true. 

All that keeps going through my head is that stupid phrase: "Elvis has left the building." In this case though it is not Elvis but one hell of a nice guy named Pete.

So long Pete, it was nice knowing you and it is a damned shame you had to leave so soon. I hope that where ever you are they have films and motorbikes and all the other things that made you...you.

You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment