Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Actors

When I was a boy I had a list of actors about as long as my arm that I wanted to meet. There was also a shorter list of actors I actually would have done anything to work with. I have had a long love affair with Theatre, Film and to a slightly lesser degree television. Ever since I came to the momentous conclusion that I wanted to be an actor, I have been in awe and enamoured of any actor whose performances move me.

Top of the list of "meet-a-bles" was The Duke. John Wayne was, to me anyway, the master of reacting. He also had a knack (one that was enhanced by his "script doctor") of speaking in very natural tones, but with that Duke cadence that will be forever remembered. Dean Martin ran a close second. Again, mainly because of the almost lackadaisical way he had of delivering his dialogue. I am talking about his better films here. His method of delivery was so natural, it was as though he had not memorised dialogue, but made it up as he went along.

Richard Burton, with that beautiful voice, enthralled me literally from the first second I heard him speak. I wanted more than anything to see him in Camelot. When I think of actors his name is always first on the list, closely followed by Lawrence Olivier, Richard Harris, Sean Connery and Michael Caine. All actors I so intensely admired and would have given anything to have worked with.

There was only one actress that fell into both categories and that was Elizabeth Taylor. I was reminded of that when I read 'em's talkery' today - http://emtalkery.blogspot.co.uk . My high school drama teacher had worked with Ms Taylor and always swore that they were the same age until suddenly Ms Taylor started getting younger each year. I don't know about that, but I do know that Pat Collier still thought very highly of Ms Taylor and would sing her praises monthly.

I actually saw Sean Connery in a Holiday Inn restaurant/bar in Alamogordo New Mexico in 1981. He walked within a foot of my and a friends table. Even out of make-up and sans toupee he commanded the room. I was so shocked by his appearance in this out of the way place,  that I was practically speechless. I found out later that he was making a film with Katherine Ross and Robert Conrad at the White Sands National Park.

Of course most of the actors I wanted to meet are all gone. They are treading the boards on some other plain of existence or they have "semi" retired. Of course I never really got into the business enough to insure I met anyone. I have met and auditioned for Jonathan Demme. The year was 1976 and the film was Fighting Mad with Peter Fonda. I got the part, after a very patient Jonathan kept making me re-read it. He kept reminding me that I wasn't on a stage so I had to tone down my performance. I left thinking I had blown it. It was a good part too. I was going to be saved by Peter Fonda's character at the beginning of the film. I got the phone call two weeks later and went in to sign the contract with my dad. Alas, I never got to work on that film. Due to money problems, the company (Palo Alto Productions) started cutting costs where they could and got a young stuntman to do my scene - presumably cheaper than if I had done it. I found this out from a friend of mine who was a Gopher on the film.

I have since worked on small things here and there. Life, love and the support of first one family and then another sort of side tracked me from my "artistic pursuit." I am slowly and hesitantly backing into my first love. Writing. Before I had decided in my youth to tread the boards, being a writer was my big dream. Maybe one day, if I actually get my ageing butt in gear and start looking for it, I will get work acting again. But until that time, I'll write my blogs and try to stretch my writing muscles for some real writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment