Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Neighbours


My daughter and I could not wait to move into our new house. We had lived in a tiny two bedroom flat for over a year. It was a little cramped to say the least. Two grown people overfilled the space provided. We began to get on each others nerves and in each others way.

A friend at work let me know of a three bedroom semi-detached house that was coming up to rent. The house was literally across the parking lot from my existing home. We saw it, loved it, rented it. Our neighbour (the chap attached to our house via the semi part) was lovely. He was quiet.

One month after we moved in. He moved out. Another month and a bit went by with no new occupant next door. So quiet and peaceful. 

That changed three weeks ago.

We have new neighbours now. A young couple with a young boy. They seem quite nice. Always speak when they are in the garden. And my first dealings with them had to do with them parking in my spot. They were horrified that the estate agent had mis-informed them and moved their car. It has not been a problem since that first time.

But the noise?

Their son, whom I have dubbed "Thunderfoot" has what seems to be fifty pound weights in his little feet. He appears to be incapable of going up stairs or walking across the floor quietly. His parents also seem to suffer from this weight problem in their feet. Mother likes to listen to music while she cleans the house (at least I think that is what she is doing); a heavy beat thrums through my walls in the first part of the morning.

I know in my heart of hearts that they are probably not really that loud. I think we just got used to the un-natural quiet that exhuded from next door. So I haven't complained...to them at any rate. I have a right old moan to my daughter and she returns the favour. I know that in time we both, my daughter and I, will get used to the new neighbours. And their noise.

I just wish that time would come already

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your only having minor neighbor problems, which isn't too bad. As for me, I used to have neighbors (husband, wife and two children) who were divided by a brick well yet would find away to make much noise during their common Saturday night drinking parties in the backyard. It got pretty crazy near the end. And when I say 'crazy' I mean: one night they (the husband and wife) ended up drunk and fighting (both verbally and physically) on our front yard right in front of my little sisters front window at like 1 in the morning. So, I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete