Saturday, December 10, 2011

Paying Up

I'm supposed to be paying bills at this particular moment. But as is obvious by this post, I'm not. I will do, I promise. I still have a few days left before they are due. So there's no real rush.

Instead I am taking a break from the hustle and bustle of settling in. I've found homes for just about everything that was laying around on the floor. I've separated my post from the landlords post. I've pre-cooked tea and washed up the dishes. I've done a load of laundry and set it up to dry.  I've even made a list (in my head and God know how long that will stay there) of things I need to pick up from the store down the road. I even took Meg (my daughter) the other side of town to meet her mother.  No wonder I need a break, I've been busy!

But despite my busy day, the bills I've got to pay have never left my thoughts.  I am always afraid I will miss a payment and get a bad credit  rating. I know this comes from my up-bringing. My Dad used to always say, "You can have all the fun you want. But you have to remember that the important thing is paying up. You always have to pay the piper."

The things my Dad told me are just as true today as they were when I was a youngster.  In this day and age of easy credit and banks gone mad, I think a lot of folks don't believe that. But it is true, we all have to pay up.


Of course I'm not just talking about money here, I'm talking about life and our actions in it. Call it Karma, or just call it "owing the house," it all means the same thing.  We build up a debt by our actions and reactions to people, things and events. Stop and think about it. Have you ever refused to give up your seat on the bus for some poor old soul who needed it more? Stolen a parking place from another driver who was clearly waiting for it? I could go on and on about the seemingly trivial things that we do to one another  that helps build up that debt.

Now let me make one thing perfectly clear, I am not talking about religion. I'm talking about evening the scales, balancing how we deal with one another. Because believe it not, ugly actions build up a debt just as much as charging on your credit card. And one way or another we all have to go through the process of paying up that debt. Refusing to do so will result in bankrupting whatever it is inside of us that makes us human.

I  think that if we were afraid of getting a bad rating in life instead of just from the credit companies, everyone would get along a lot better. Remember the piper and what he did when the villagers refused to pay up. I'm going to try to keep paying up my "debts" because I don't want the "piper" mad at me!

 And you shouldn't want that either.



2 comments:

  1. Hey, it's just like Paul McCartney sang in '69: "The love you take is equal to the love you make." Again, another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is definitely a febreezer for me. It was a great way to start my day off actually! Its really awesome to hear that despite the dreadfulness that is "paying up" you still have time to do fun things and teach kids like me a lesson or two about life.

    I definitely appreciate your Dads quote "You can have all the fun you want. But you have to remember that the important thing is paying up. You always have to pay the piper"

    Safe to say I have yet to go up on my own and pay the bills, truth is, I've always been kinda daunted bout the matter! I ne'er once thought it in this "karma" aspect.

    Its cool to think that "paying up" is a...good thing? It helps me learn that its more than just money. Its about respecting your place in society and others as well! Damn... I've been blind all this time haven't I? Haha

    I guess calling me selfish right now would be an understatement! I've been spoiled my entire life and have yet to pay the piper. Thank you for a nice mind opener for my Monday morning. Time to make these not so pretty actions into nicer more approachable ones :D

    Cheers for helping a kid like me understand a little bit more before life punches him in the face :D Great post Mr. S!

    ReplyDelete